Sunday 10 May 2015

At Every Beck and Call

Tumbling down the stairs in slow motion… sliding, falling, knees and elbows banging painfully off the bannister. Coming to a jumbled stop at the bottom of the stairs, I lift my head and howl, “Mommyyyy!”

Running for the bathroom in the middle of the night, kicking my feet free from entangling sheets, staggering in the darkness to hunch over the porcelain bowl, and I whimper, “Mommm!!”

Staring at a confusing mess of math problems rampaging across the pages of my math book, I hurl down my pencil and yell, “Mo-om?”

Headfirst in my closet, digging, rummaging, searching, clothing dangling off hangers and lying in piles. “Mom!”

Rushing home from the post office, waving a letter from one of my sponsored children, and I holler, “Mom! Mom!! Mom!!!”

Even now, fumbling through my recipe book, looking for non-existent instructions, I pick up the phone and punch in her number. “Mom?”


I’m sure there were plenty of times she got tired of running at my beck and call… but nevertheless, she was always there. Is always there. We who have moms take it for granted sometimes, that our moms are always just around the corner or a phone call away, to act as nurse, doctor, teacher, cook, taxi, and playmate… but let’s not forget the sacrifices that they make, to be all those things to us. The times when they want time to themselves, the times when they are tired, sick, hungry, or just frazzled, yet they still put us first.

Moms of the world, we salute you!


And to my own sweet special mother, a million thanks!!



Did you know you can help a Mom and baby in need? Click HERE to support a Child Survival Program through Compassion International!

4 comments:

  1. This is a great piece. This is how I see my wife - always running to our kids (and me...but I digress). She has a lot more strength and patience than I could. Perhaps it just comes from being a mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Russell... and thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  2. What a great post!! And thanks for the reminder that the running to every call of mami pays off in the end ;)

    ReplyDelete