Sunday 18 February 2018

Pleased To Meet You: Isimbi

Welcome to the fourth installment of my series, "Pleased To Meet You!" I haven't done one for a while, but I am so excited to introduce a very special young lady to you all!

Name: Isimbi
Age: 14
Birthday: August 8
Country: Rwanda

Isimbi's very first Compassion photo at age 7!

OUR RELATIONSHIP: Isimbi will always be special to me, since she was my very first Compassion child! At the time, the leaders of the youth group I was attending had traveled several times to Rwanda. Since they had a heart for that country, they suggested that we, as a group, sponsor a child there. They called Compassion Canada and requested a child from Rwanda. The packet arrived, and on it, the sweetest, shyest-looking little 7-year-old girl. The youth group has since dissolved, but the former leaders continue to sponsor Isimbi, and they have given her over to me as a correspondent. What a blessing it has been to know this sweet girl in the five years she's been a part of my life!

Isimbi's second Compassion photo; 9 years old

ABOUT ISIMBI: Isimbi lives in the southern part of Rwanda with her grandmother, mother, and younger brother. Her mother often works away from home, and often Isimbi and her brother stay with just their grandmother. Isimbi is a very studious girl who enjoys school and really focuses on her grades. She is a very quiet, polite , and thoughtful girl, always careful to express appreciation for each and every item and letter that is sent. She has a sense of humour and enjoys funny things and spending time with her friends.

EXTRA PHOTOS: I am blessed to have several extra photos of Isimbi! When she was nine years old, a church team visited Rwanda and sent back some lovely photos! In the photo below, Isimbi (far left in the pink dress) and her brother (beside her in the white shirt) pose with some of their neighborhood friends.



In 2015, a good friend of mine also traveled to Rwanda and was able to meet Isimbi. In the photo below, Isimbi displays her beautiful smile and excitement at having a guest come to see her and her project!



LETTER EXCERPTS:

"I thank God you choosed me among all the other people."

"Thank you so much for the letter you sent me and the birthday card. Thank you for caring."

"Thank you for being a good parent to me and may God bless you."

"Send our best regards to your complete family and we love you all so much!"

"I like funny things."

"When will you come to visit me?"

"My brother and my grandmother love you so much, and so do I!"

"I sat for my National Exams that end the Primary classes, please pray for me so that I may pass and go to high school."

"Are you doing well? I believe that you are also doing fine and the family. We are in holidays and planting sorghum and beans."

Isimbi's third Compassion photo, age 10


"I thank you for the letter you sent to me and Bible Verses. They inspired me so much. I was happy because God knows my name."

"I would like to thank you for having sent your friend to see me, I was indeed very touched and happy."

"I am helping my parent with some work at home like sweeping, fetching water, and different activities. In Rwanda, we are now experiencing a dry season. For you, which weather are you experiencing?"

"I thank you for the letters you sent to me, they pleased me very much, they contain beautiful photos and nice stickers."

"We are preparing for commemoration period for our fellows who died in genocide in 1994.I wish you a happy Easter. I love you so much."

"I loved the calendar you sent me."

"It is rainy here in Rwanda, it is so cold, how is weather over there? I'm doing well in school and I hope to pass well this term. I know you pray for me. I always pray for you to be protected by God with your whole family."

"I know a bit English which I learned from school. My best friend is M. and we attend together at the project Compassion. My role model is my grandmother and in the Bible my role model is Hannah because she endured the temptation."

"We had happy holidays and we will celebrate Christmas in the month of 12 and we have Christmas tree, I was glad to hear that you are volunteering by helping some children and may God continue to help you."
"I thank you for the way you take care of me and may God bless you."


"Thank you for the lovely letter you sent to me, I was so happy because of the questions you asked me. I love you and my parents love you too. Thank you so much.

Isimbi's most recent photo, age 12



No comments:

Post a Comment